- Aetna sells Medicare Advantage plans.
- Aetna offers vision coverage in many of its Medicare Advantage plans.
- Your cost will be based on your ZIP code and which plan you choose.
If you wear prescription eyewear, you know the importance of annual vision screenings.
Having a health insurance plan that covers the cost of vision and eye services makes it easy to get the care you need. It means you’ll be able to schedule routine eye exams and get affordable prescription lenses.
Aetna Medicare Advantage plans help you access vision care through in-network providers who bill Aetna directly.
Other Aetna plans may allow you to obtain vision care through out-of-network providers and then submit a claim form. They’ll reimburse you up to the yearly allowance amount for vision and eye services.
Aetna Medicare Advantage vision coverage offers comprehensive eye services, such as:
- routine eye exams, usually one exam per year
- diabetic retinopathy screenings
- yearly allowance to cover the cost of frames
- annual compensation for prescription lens or contact lenses
- cataract surgery
Aetna Medicare Advantage plans are available in most U.S. states. You can find the right plan to suit your healthcare needs, including:
Plans can change depending on your state or county. Each program has a distinct yearly allowance, copays, and benefits.
Your costs will depend on your ZIP code and the plan you choose — whether it covers visits to out-of-network providers and whether there are in-network vision specialists.
You can compare premium rates and additional benefits using Medicare’s plan finder tool. Simply enter your ZIP code to compare the plans offered in your area.
Sample costs for Aetna Medicare Advantage plans with vision coverage
You’re eligible for Aetna Medicare Advantage vision coverage if you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident over age 65.
To enroll in a plan with Aetna Medicare Advantage vision coverage, you’ll first need to sign up for original Medicare. Original Medicare is made up of Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance).
Contact Social Security and enroll in original Medicare online, over the phone, or by visiting your local office. After you have your Medicare number, you’re eligible for an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan.
What are the different parts of Medicare?
Medicare is divided into a few “parts.” Each part of Medicare covers different healthcare needs. Currently, the parts of Medicare include:
- Medicare Part A. Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. It covers you during short-term, inpatient stays in hospitals and for services like hospice. It also provides limited coverage for skilled nursing facility care and select in-home services.
- Medicare Part B. Medicare Part B is medical insurance that covers everyday care needs like doctor’s appointments, therapist visits, medical equipment, and urgent care visits.
- Medicare Part C. Medicare Part C is also called Medicare Advantage. These plans combine the coverage of parts A and B into a single plan. Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private insurance companies and are overseen by Medicare.
- Medicare Part D. Medicare Part D is prescription drug coverage. Part D plans are stand-alone plans that cover only prescriptions. These plans are also provided through private insurance companies.
- Medigap. Medigap is also known as Medicare supplement insurance. Medigap plans help cover the out-of-pocket costs of Medicare, like deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance amounts.
Start your enrollment by finding out what Aetna Medicare Advantage plans are available in your area.
Use Medicare’s plan comparison tool to find a list of Aetna vision plans available in your county, along with benefits, vision services, copays, and premiums.
You can also contact Aetna at 855-335-1407.
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions.
Does original Medicare provide vision coverage?
Original Medicare doesn’t offer vision coverage for:
However, Medicare Part B will cover the cost of:
Part B deductibles will apply, though.
What does my Aetna vision plan cover?
Aetna Medicare Advantage vision coverage will include yearly eye exams to check your vision and monitor your eye health.
Aetna vision plans also cover frames, prescription lenses, and even contact lenses. Aetna provides a yearly allowance for frames and prescription eyewear.
How do I get Aetna’s vision coverage with Medicare?
Many Aetna Medicare Advantage plans include routine vision and eye services. You can find out precisely what’s in your policy by reading the evidence of coverage statement provided to you by your plan.
If you’re enrolling in an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan for the first time, check which vision and eye services each plan offers and compare them to get what you need.
If you select a policy without vision coverage, you may be able to add an optional supplemental benefit to receive it.
When can I apply for a Medicare Advantage plan?
If you’re planning to enroll in Medicare Advantage, you’ll need to know several enrollment deadlines and dates:
- Initial enrollment period. This is a 7-month window around your 65th birthday when you can sign up for Medicare. It begins 3 months before your birth month, includes the month of your birthday, and extends 3 months after your birthday. During this time, you can enroll for all parts of Medicare without a penalty.
- Open enrollment period (October 15–December 7). During this time, you can switch from original Medicare (parts A and B) to Part C (Medicare Advantage), or from Part C back to original Medicare. You can also switch Part C plans or add, remove, or change a Part D plan.
- General enrollment period (January 1–March 31). You can enroll in Medicare during this timeframe if you didn’t enroll during your initial enrollment period.
- Special enrollment period. If you delayed Medicare enrollment for an approved reason, you can later enroll during a special enrollment period. You have 8 months from the end of your coverage or the end of your employment during which to sign up without penalty.
- Vision coverage is a part of many Medicare Advantage plans.
- Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans that include vision coverage.
- If you’re eligible for Medicare Advantage, you’re eligible to purchase an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan with vision coverage.
The information on this website may assist you in making personal decisions about insurance, but it is not intended to provide advice regarding the purchase or use of any insurance or insurance products. Healthline Media does not transact the business of insurance in any manner and is not licensed as an insurance company or producer in any U.S. jurisdiction. Healthline Media does not recommend or endorse any third parties that may transact the business of insurance.